Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a travel agent in the U.S. and will be traveling in Europe, independently (not with any tour or cruise).

My husband, sister-in-law and I will be having a long layover in Istanbul on our journey to Sarajevo from Bucharest, connecting through Istanbul on September 23 (7 hours).

Do we need a visa to leave the airport during that time if we just want to get into the city to have a meal and do some shopping:) also, what is the cost and the process to purchase one?

share|improve this question

According to Visa Information For Foreigners:

  • United States of America: Ordinary and official passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. They can obtain three month-multiple entry visas from Turkish diplomatic representations abroad and also via the website

I'm pretty sure that "just want to get into the city" qualifies as "entering Turkey" for visa purposes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.