Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is an ESTA enough to travel to the USA for medical treatment for the UK Residents?

share|improve this question
What's your citizenship? – Karlson Jul 1 '14 at 13:07
you can assume from the question, it's UK – kmonsoor Jul 2 '14 at 15:27
@kmonsoor No you can't. Residency and citizenship are two very different things. – JoErNanO Nov 5 '14 at 21:33
@JoErNanO yes, you are right. my missed the difference. – kmonsoor Nov 6 '14 at 4:28

If eligible for VWP then Yes: see under Tourism on the U.S. State Department Visa Waiver Program page, as well as a more detailed Visitor Visas: Business and Pleasure flyer (emphasis added):

Pleasure, Tourism, Medical Treatment - Visitor Visas (B-2) If the purpose of the planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, visiting friends or relatives, rest, or is related to medical treatment… then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for the travel.…

Travelers coming to the United States for tourism or business (B-1 or B-2 category visa) purposes for 90 days or less from qualified countries* may be eligible to travel without a visa if they meet the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) requirements.

share|improve this answer
@choster I took note and not only added a little more than a link to a subsequent answer but even went back to edit in extra. – pnuts Nov 6 '14 at 0:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.