Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I am an Indian citizen travelling from India to Italy on a student visa via the UK. My flight stops at Heathrow for 2.5 hours. Will I be required to have a transit visa?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Michael Hampton, Jan, Berwyn, Henning Makholm, mts Jul 5 at 7:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Welcome to travel.SE. What is your citizenship? And where are you coming from? – Karlson Jun 25 '14 at 15:40
@pnuts UK citizenship isn't the only condition to allow TWOV. – Karlson Jun 25 '14 at 15:42
@Gagravarr Close but there is no US or US visa involved though the widget is the same. – Karlson Jun 25 '14 at 16:32
The other question mentions a “Schengen visa”, which might or might not be the same than what the OP has. – Relaxed Jun 25 '14 at 16:57
The answer is given in the thread Karlson references: it's an easy question to look up from . – choster Jun 26 '14 at 1:56

Indian citizens generally do need a visa for airside transit at Heathrow but you are probably exempt from this requirement based on your Italian visa. Specifically, you are exempt if you:

have a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA)

An Italian student visa valid for more than three months would be a category D visa (whereas a short-stay Schengen visa would not). If I am not mistaken, it should look approximately like this:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

No, because you hold a long-stay (type D) Schengen visa, you do not Need a visa to change flights at Heathrow

Source: Timatic, the database Airlines use. If putting India as the nationality, India as the departure Country, the UK as the Transit Point and Italy as the Destination, it will come back as

"Visa required, except for Passengers holding confirmed onward
tickets making an airside transit at London Gatwick (LGW), **London Heathrow (LHR)** or Manchester (MAN) on the same calendar
day to a third country (excluding Ireland (Rep.)).The
following conditions must be complied with:

- passenger must arrive and depart by air; and
- passenger only intends to transit through the United
Kingdom; and
- passenger must hold all documents required for the next
destination; and
- passenger must not leave the transit area; and
- passenger travels with a document listed in the following


    ***Warning*** Passengers may make a airside transit if
   holding a valid "D" visa issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland.
share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.