Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My wife is Indian citizen with us permanent residence. She would be travelling from Delhi-Frankfurt_London-Chicago with small layovers at London and Frankfurt. As Germany is Schengen and London is non-Schengen, would she still need transit/visitor visa? I know for Indian citizens with US residency, transit visa is not required if there is a single layover in Europe. Also visa is required if there is more tahn one Schengen lay over. What about this one Schengen and one non-Schengen layover?

If I need a transit/visitor visa, do I need for Germany or UK or both?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Relaxed, Dirty-flow, drat, Mark Mayo, Thorsten S. Jun 18 '14 at 12:08

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

She would then be OK as far as the Schengen area is concerned. See… and… – Relaxed Jun 18 '14 at 8:28

That's almost the same situation than Transit visa requirements while traveling from US to India with stops in Heathrow and Frankfurt except your wife is a permanent resident in the US.

Just as in the other case, she would be exempted from any airport transit visa requirement in the Schengen area based on her permanent resident status in the US. As London is not in the Schengen area, the flight will depart from the international part of the airport and visa-free transfer should be possible. See also Transit visa travelling from Canada to India via Germany or Do I need a visa to transit in the Schengen area?

In the UK, she would also be exempted from the direct airside transit visa requirement based on her status in the US, if she holds a “US permanent residence card issued on or after 21 April 1998”. See

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.