Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I am a national from Mexico, currently an exchange student following a program in France and have a "long séjour" residence permit (multiple entry visa). During the summer holidays, I plan to travel outside Europe, and then I will return to Europe to continue my studies but I want to enter from Spain (my French visa will be still valid). Will this cause any trouble? Or do I need to re-enter Europe on the country that issued my visa (i.e. France)?

Also, is any visa issued from any Schengen country considered as a "Schengen visa"?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, Thorsten S., Karlson, choster, Gilles Jun 16 '14 at 21:15

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The relevant legal texts do not, as far as I know, give any specific meaning to the term “Schengen visa”. A regular Schengen visa for short stays is called “uniform visa” because the rules are the same in the whole Schengen area. A long-stay visa is not a Schengen visa in the sense that the requirements and procedure to obtain one are not laid out in the Schengen visa code but you can enter through Spain or visit other countries in the Schengen area with a regular French long-stay visa.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.