Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm travelling to the U.K. from the States as a U.S. permanent resident in mid-July. I still have my British passport, but it expires in mid-October.

For the life of me I can't find any expiry eligibility requirements for this situation, so I was hoping someone here may be in the know.

Many thanks in advance.

share|improve this question
There should be no problem entering the UK using your UK passport, even if it expires the next day. Is that what you're asking? – Greg Hewgill Jun 11 '14 at 23:27
Awesome username! – Mark Mayo Jun 11 '14 at 23:52
It is, Greg. Thanks for the input. – Moby's Stunt Double Jun 12 '14 at 0:02
Ok. I wasn't sure because the US permanent resident stuff didn't seem to be relevant. I'll make a proper answer. – Greg Hewgill Jun 12 '14 at 0:40
up vote 8 down vote accepted

If you have a valid UK passport, UK immigration control will let you into the country even if your passport expires the next day.

If you're intending to return to the US before your passport expires, you will also want to ensure that your passport is still valid for at least the minimum time required by the US officials at the time you re-enter (I'm not sure what that is for permanent residents).

share|improve this answer
Could you enter on an already expired passport? – Grzenio Jun 12 '14 at 10:43
Thanks again, Greg. Good spot RE: return immigration too. – Moby's Stunt Double Jun 12 '14 at 12:22
@Grzenio: I don't know for sure. Probably. But I would have a backup plan in that case. – Greg Hewgill Jun 12 '14 at 18:01
@Grzenio There definitely was a time (since the introduction of passports!) where one might re-enter without one, expired or not, but nowadays I think you would be quizzed at length, at the very least, though an expired passport might be sufficient to prove/support your right to enter. – pnuts Jan 16 '15 at 0:05
U.S. permanent residents technically don't need a passport to enter the U.S. But the airline may not fly you if your passport is expired. – user102008 Jan 16 '15 at 5:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.