Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that it is possible to enter Burma/Myanmar from several border crossing with neighbouring countries, and I'm pretty sure that from some of them at least you do not have to be on a package tour.

But I have been unable despite much searching to find out for sure whether it's possibly to enter Burma from a border crossing with one country and exit via a border crossing with a different country?

If so, which countries and which border crossings would this be possible at?

share|improve this question
Not certain, but I think it should not be a problem if you hold the proper Burmese visa. At some crossings (e.g. Mae Sot and Mae Sai from Thailand), you can enter on a one-day pass (no visa, they hold on to your passport at the immigration checkpoint), and cannot travel further than the local area. Btw, check local conditions, border areas can be unstable, and some crossings close often (especially with Thailand). –  dbkk Jun 23 '11 at 21:42

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

The same page on Wikitravel as referenced in Zeocrash's answer continues:

As of March 2007, travel beyond Kengtung to the rest of Myanmar is not possible, even with a valid tourist visa

Kengtung is a town several hours by bus from the Thai border. We stayed there for a few days and then took a domestic flight to Inle Lake. You can also fly to Mandalay and Rangoon and continue to the accessible rest of the country from there.

I did meet people in Burma who crossed the border from China but that involved a pseudo tour with a $200 price tag.

I also know someone who left Burma into Thailand overland from Rangoon, but I do not remember which border crossing she used.

I myself entered in Mae Sai and flew out of Rangoon to Chang Mai, which means it is possible to use different crossings when entering and exiting.

If the question is whether you can enter from one country and exit into a third, this seems possible from China into Thailand as long as you have the required permits to visit usually off-limit areas.

Unless you try super hard and have very good connections it seems not possible to cross the Indian-Burmese border which is what many people including me would love to do.

share|improve this answer
I don't think of airports as border crossings. I think of both as kinds of entry/exit points but in practice with these kinds of places there are more possibilities at airports than at border crossings. –  hippietrail Feb 28 '12 at 11:31

it seems that it's very dificult to enter Burma by land, legally. As for illegally, well burmese prisons aren't particularly nice.

Hopping across the Thai border into Myanmar's border towns is easy, but crossing into or out of Myanmar proper by land varies between difficult and impossible. Visa-free entry is possible at some border crossings, but you must then exit Myanmar via the same border crossing, usually (but not always) on the same day that you enter, and fees apply (normally US$10). All land border crossings into Myanmar give only restricted access to the border areas. The only way to visit locations throughout the country, is to enter and exit Myanmar by air.

taken from: wikitravel - entering burma by land

share|improve this answer
I would not trust Wikitravel as a reliable source on immigration matters. –  dbkk Nov 26 '11 at 18:28
Quite often it's the most up-to-date source out there. Of course it's worth checking elsewhere if possible. –  Mark Mayo May 4 '12 at 10:55

For those who enter from one border and depart from another border point to a different country, it is possible in Tachileik-Mae Sai, Thailand border and Muse-Shwe Li, China border (vice versa).

share|improve this answer
Very interesting! Do you have a link to somewhere to corroborate this? –  hippietrail May 4 '12 at 11:15

protected by Ankur Banerjee May 17 '13 at 11:05

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.