Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I will have to visit Europe twice for five months in total. I am Thai and will need a visa. The maximum stay in europe is 90 days, otherwise you have to apply for a long term stay according to my research. However, it will be complicated and time consuming.

This is my travel plan:

  • Aug - Sep: Munich
  • Sep - Nov: France (I have to complete a short course in Paris which is not more than 90 days)
  • Nov - Dec: Munich again

I am aware that I need to leave and re-enter the country when the duration reaches 90 days. Can I apply for a tourist visa in Germany's embassy for 90 days that's valid in six months and a second visa from France for 90 days. In between these trips, I will leave the continent to Russia or Turkey where a visa is not required and re-enter again.

Therefore I need two Schengen visas but is it possible to have two Schengen visas in one passport?

share|improve this question
I get the feeling that this might be considered as cheating the system, even though you aren't trying to. –  Aditya Somani Jun 4 at 4:28
With a short term visa, you are allowed to stay for 90 days within a 180 day period. Leaving the Schengen area after 90 days won't give you the right to immediately reenter and stay for further 90 days. Having multiple overlapping short term visas from different Schengen countries is at least in theory possible, but won't bring you any benefits. –  Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Jun 4 at 8:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.