Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm thinking of purchasing an OYSTER CARD in order to get into London (King's Cross). After that, I was thinking of purchasing a 7DAY Travel Card (Zone 1 & 2) to use for my general sightseeing. I will then use the OYSTER CARD again for a return trip to Watford Junction, Richmond, and the return trip to Heathrow. Is this a good plan?

Also, there are three of us travelling. Do we need three OYSTER CARDS or can we share on one card?

share|improve this question
So.....if I add my 7 day travel pass ONTO my Oyster Card, does that card function as an Oyster Card or Travel Pass? – Mary May 28 '14 at 1:49
both. if your travel matches the travel pass (eg travel in zone 1 and 2) it'll just match against that, and if you go further (eg venture to zone 3+) it'll take it off your prepay. It's nice and flexible like that. – Mark Mayo May 28 '14 at 2:04
up vote 11 down vote accepted

That's perfectly valid, as most sightseeing is in Zone 1. What you could do is buy a 7 day travel pass immediately at Heathrow (zone 1 and 2) which you put ONTO your Oyster Card.

To explain - the Oyster is just a card. You then either top it up with pre-pay, or you put travel cards on to it.

So step 1 - buy the card.

Step 2 - get some prepay on it to cover your non Zone1-2 trips.

Step 3 - put a 7 day travel card on it.

Step 4 - travel and enjoy London.

And yes, you need individual Oyster cards, but when you return to Heathrow, hand them back in - you get your deposit refunded, plus any outstanding pre-pay balance on the cards.

share|improve this answer
Though it is important to always top up using the same method IIRC for the refund of unused credit to be straight forward. – Martin Smith May 28 '14 at 8:07
@MartinSmith that or register them online in your name and show your id when returning them – Darko Z May 28 '14 at 12:49
@DarkoZ Does that get around the issue with multiple tenders (top-ups being made with mixed cash and card). I remember reading something about these being problematic. I thought they would refund via a cheque in sterling that probably isn't very useful for someone overseas. – Martin Smith May 28 '14 at 12:53
@MartinSmith I just refunded a card in this exact scenario a month or so ago. Mixed tender, but registered to my name (and attempted to refund one registered to my wife which got confiscated!) – Darko Z May 28 '14 at 14:38
Also you could buy a Zone 1 & 2 travel card and then only use buses for getting to zone 3+ – Jonathan. May 28 '14 at 20:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.