Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a US-registered vehicle in Mexico. An American friend once told me that only other Americans can legally drive a US car in Mexico. That is to say, I cannot legally lend the car to a Mexican friend--or possibly not to a foreigner from any other country.

Is this true?

I will be on a road trip later this year with some Mexican friends, and a friend from Guatemala. Can any or all of these people drive the car legally?

share|improve this question
Don't know about Mexico but some countries have rules about residents and foreign registered cars, might be another source of confusion/difficulties. –  Relaxed May 15 at 17:37
I wonder if you need to be a us resident. As Dutch citizen living abroad I am not allowed to drive a Dutch registered car. I am not sure but maybe this is a global thing –  andra May 15 at 21:57
For example, if a German drives a foreign car in Germany, then it is assumed the car has been imported and import tax is due. If Mexico has a similar rule then it is not at all illegal to lend the car to a Mexican friend, but could be very expensive. –  gnasher729 Sep 7 at 19:15

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The vehicle temporarily imported by the owner may be driven in Mexico by the spouse or adult children, as long as they have the same immigration status. Other persons may drive the vehicle as long as the owner is in the vehicle. http://www.mexonline.com/drivemex.htm

share|improve this answer
Welcome to Travel.SE, and thank you for the answer! –  Flimzy May 19 at 18:59

As long as you and your friends have valid licenses that permit you to drive within Mexico you should be fine. Many countries do however expect the vehicle owner to be present in the vehicle when it is being operated. You might want to check with the Mexican embassy to see if you need to have your proof of auto ownership on hand as well.

share|improve this answer

This post does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this post by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.

I had to present proof of ownership to get the permit to enter Mexico with the vehicle. What I want to know is if there is any law prohibiting others, specifically Mexican citizens, from driving my car. "You should be fine" isn't authoritative enough to satisfy me. –  Flimzy May 15 at 19:33
As long as they have legal licenses then they should logically be able to as long as you are present. If you are still uncertain I suggest that you contact your nearest Mexican embassy. –  mccjeff May 15 at 20:08
For the latest, most accurate and up to date information please see this link: consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/en/traveling-to-mexico/… –  mccjeff May 15 at 22:49
Here is relevant information. mexicolegal.com.mx/foro-verconsulta.php?id=188398&forod=2 All I am trying to do is help. I don't care about up votes or what not. –  mccjeff May 15 at 22:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.