Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an Australian passport with a C1 tourist visa for Vietnam. Is it possible for me to get a standard 30 day (or longer) extension for my visa in Dong Hoi (the major town east of Phong Nha National Park)?

I would prefer answers from people who have actually done this, and as much information as possible including: where it was done, how much it cost, how long the visa extension was for, and how long it took.

share|improve this question
See also: Renewing or getting a new visa in Vietnam? – hippietrail Apr 8 '15 at 5:25

No, you will need to send your passport to Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City or Danang to have your visa extended. You can also find a travel agency in Dong Hoi who can assist you in extending your visa.

share|improve this answer
Do you have any recommendations or information regarding specific travel agencies in Dong Hoi? – ajmccluskey May 7 '14 at 12:51

I was told by a fellow Australian living near Phong Nha (about 40km from Dong Hoi) that there is an immigration office in Dong Hoi, but they do not do visa extensions. I did not have the patience to look for alternatives in Dong Hoi.

When we were passing through Hue (to the south) we found plenty of places who would arrange the extension for us, so that is likely the nearest place to reliably get it done. However, please note that all of the places we inquired at told us that the visa would not be extended, but replaced. Apparently they cancel your original visa and give you a new one valid for 30 days from the date you apply for the extension, not from the date of expiry on your first visa.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.