Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For US citizens, are there any locations outside the 50 US states that don't require a passport to fly to and from?

share|improve this question
Are you considering US territories such as Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, or Guam? They're outside the 50 states, but not a different country. – Greg Hewgill Apr 15 '14 at 1:30
I edited out the infant question. Please ask it separately. – Nate Eldredge Apr 15 '14 at 2:14
Well are you planning to land? There are several countries that allow you to fly over them without a passport. for example my friend flies his small plain from NY to Detroit, MI frequently right over Canada. You can do the same thing over Mexico, and other some of the surrounding islands. I don't believe Cuba allows that though. – William Apr 15 '14 at 4:15
@gerrit There are no airports in Washington DC, so it's not possible to fly there with or without a passport. – Doc Apr 15 '14 at 15:29
@greghewgill Regarding territories: Yes, I am wondering about anywhere outside the 50 states (I updated my question). Would I be able to fly to a US territory without a passport? – Justin Apr 15 '14 at 19:06
up vote 6 down vote accepted

You can re-enter the US if you have proof of citizenship, so that doesn't strictly require a passport -- although it may make your enter procedure more troublesome.

As mentioned above, you can theoretically travel to US territories without a passport, from

For Travel to/from/between U.S. Territories, U.S. Citizens and Nationals:

You need a photo identification or travel document when visiting American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. Your itinerary and/or carrier may require this document to be your passport. You also need proof of citizenship and either a return or onward ticket, or proof of employment in the territory, to visit American Samoa.

Also from that page:

For Travel to/from/between Freely Associated States, U.S. Citizens and Nationals:

You may need a valid U.S. passport, birth certificate, or naturalization papers to enter a Freely Associated State.

If I'm right that covers Palau, Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands.

However, from

All visitors must have a valid passport not less than 6 months from date of expiration and proof of return arrangements. [ ... ] Citizens of United States of America, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Guam, and the Common Wealth of Northern Marianas Islands with valid passports are issued 1 year Visa upon arrival.

so that's out but from

U.S. citizens may enter any FSM state with a U.S. passport or proof of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate). Non U.S. citizens must have a valid passport from their country of origin.

So there's another option. I can't find an official page for the Marshall Islands but says you need a passport.

It appears you used to not required a passport for Mexico or Canada but this changed in 2009/2010 and now everyone requires a passport to cross those borders.

Also note, if you're flying airlines may very well insist on a passport or at least make your life difficult if you don't have one. But technically passport-less travel is possible to the places mentioned above.

I'm not sure how things like privately owned islands work -- could you theoretically fly there without a passport? I'd also imagine you might be able to persuade a cruise company to let you helicopter out to their cruise liner and land on that, which might count.

share|improve this answer
"You can re-enter the US if you have proof of citizenship, so that doesn't strictly require a passport -- although it may make your enter procedure more troublesome." And it would be breaking the law. 8 USC 1185(b) – user102008 Apr 17 '14 at 5:13
Interesting, I was sure I had read somewhere that US citizens were always allowed to re-enter the country, no questions asked apart from that needed to prove their citizenship. This page: says 'or other approved travel document' so maybe the law isn't enforced? If the law you quote is enforced then the real answer to the question is simply 'no' probably. – SpaceDog Apr 17 '14 at 5:59
Well, I think both are true. U.S. citizens are required by law to have a passport to leave and enter (unless they fall under one of the exceptions), but they will always be allowed to enter. I don't know if there are any penalties for breaking the law. I believe that if you show up without a passport, they will give you a stern talking-to and automatically submit a "waiver" for the passport requirement on your behalf. – user102008 Apr 17 '14 at 8:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.