Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A friend of mine is planning a trip to Japan on short notice. He is not a US Citizen, but a permanent resident. Is there a Visa on Arrival or an easy way to get a visa that applies specifically to US permanent residents?

share|improve this question
It looks like there will be a visa exemption for Vietnamese residents in the near future… – Lucas Apr 19 '14 at 8:38
up vote 6 down vote accepted

No, Japan only cares about your country of citizenship, they will have to apply for a visa via the usual process. The only thing a green card gets you is the right to apply for a visa at a Japanese embassy/consulate in the USA, and tourist visas are usually processed in 2-3 days.

share|improve this answer

Japan offers short-stay visa exemptions for tourism. The list of countries that are eligible for visa exemption can be found at Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay). The citizenship of the visitor is the only thing that is relevant for Japanese visa exemption (US permanent residency status has no bearing).

share|improve this answer
For countries not on that list, like Vietnam, I'm curious what the fastest process is to get a Visa. In my experience, it's the consulate, but 2-3 days may be too long. What about APEC card members? – Lucas Apr 15 '14 at 2:18
I'm afraid I don't know how it works for APEC card members. That would be a different question I suspect. – Greg Hewgill Apr 15 '14 at 7:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.