Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am in UK on a Business Visit Visa for 6 months. I want to invite my cousin who studies in Germany to the UK.

Should I ask her to apply for a "Family Visit Visa" or a "General Visit Visa" ?

I do not have UK Citizenship.

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Flimzy, Vince, Dirty-flow, choster, Mark Mayo Apr 15 '14 at 0:10

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What is your cousin's citizenship? That probably matters more than anything. – Flimzy Apr 14 '14 at 15:56
If your cousin is a visa-national, she would apply for a general VV. Based upon what you wrote, you do not qualify as a sponsor in the first instance. – Gayot Fow Apr 14 '14 at 18:15
Close voters: What's unclear about this question? Seems pretty clear to me; the question that I edited the title to seems pretty cut and dried, and the top answer reflects that. – starsplusplus Apr 15 '14 at 7:26
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I don't think the Family Visit Visa is an option for 2 reasons, based on the published eligibility requirements.

Reason 1: Ineligible family relationship

The list of people who can be visited under a Family visa is given as:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • children
  • parents or siblings
  • grandparents or grandchildren
  • your spouse’s or civil partner’s siblings or parents
  • your child’s spouse or civil partner
  • step parents, step children or step siblings
  • a person you've been living with in a long-term relationship, as if you were married or in a civil partnership, for at least 2 years before the day you apply

A cousin is none of those things.

Reason 2: Ineligible residency status

The family member being visited must be one of:

  • a British citizen
  • settled in the UK
  • granted asylum in the UK
  • under humanitarian protection in the UK

You're not a British citizen, and I don't think being in the UK on a short-term visa yourself counts as being "settled in the UK". The other 2 options are presumably not relevant either.

share|improve this answer
To confirm: The op is not settled in the UK; otherwise they would not need a BVV. – Gayot Fow Apr 14 '14 at 18:13
The Family Visitor visa is intended for visits of 6 months. If your cousin is studying in Germany I suspect she won't be coming for that long.

If it's just a simple visit then General Visitor visa appears to be the correct one.

share|improve this answer
A general visitor visa is good for up to 6 months too, so that doesn't really serve to differentiate them. More to the point is that as far as I can see the OP & their cousin are simply not eligible for the Family visa. – Nigel Harper Apr 15 '14 at 8:30
@NigelHarper My reading of the immigration website is that the Family Visa is required for a visit of more than six months, precisely because a General (tourist) visa does not have sufficient duration. For less than six months a Gereral visa is all that is required and the purpose being to visit family is irrelevant. – toandfro Apr 15 '14 at 9:13
I've no idea how you manage to read it that way. It clearly says "You can stay in the UK for 6 months on a Family Visitor visa." There's nothing to indicate you can stay for over 6 months. – Nigel Harper Apr 15 '14 at 9:21
@NigelHarper The page I linked to doesn't say that, it says "Apply for a Family Visitor visa if you want to come to the UK to visit a family member for 6 months". The link to the FVV from that page says "You can apply to extend your visa up to 6 months if it’s for less than 6 months." (That seems to me a very clear indication that you can stay for longer.) This ability to extend the FVV does NOT apply to the General visa, with which "You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit". – toandfro Apr 15 '14 at 19:58
My original quote is from the FVV overview. Also look at Extend your visa for the FVV. Under How Long Can You Stay it says: "You can stay in the UK for 6 months on a Family Visitor visa. You can apply to extend your visa up to 6 months if it’s for less than 6 months." As I read that you can apply for an FVV with the stated plan to stay for, say 3 months, but change your mind once in the UK and extend up to 6 months from date of entry. You can't go beyond 6 months on an FVV. – Nigel Harper Apr 16 '14 at 10:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.