Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can I use my US passport card to get served in a drinking establishment? I do not have a driver's license and don't like carrying my passport around with me.

share|improve this question
Welcome to travel.SE. In which country? – Karlson Apr 9 '14 at 20:28
I know in some Minnesota bars passports don't work, but it's really up to the company behind the bar not the bar itself. – user27272 Feb 28 '15 at 2:17

This generally varies by locality. Most places, to my knowledge, simply have laws limiting the age of persons wishing to drink. How that age is determined may be left wildly open to interpretation in some places, while other jurisdictions may require specific forms of identification.

In most places, any government issued ID will suffice from a legal standpoint, although it's often up to the particular security guard/bouncer whether he wishes to accept your ID.

I was with a Mexican friend once in the US, who was denied entry into a bar because the bouncer could not read the birthday on her Mexican-issued ID. If she had been carrying her passport, I expect she would have been allowed in.

I would be somewhat surprised if there are any laws that require that a passport (card) be considered a valid proof of age, but I would be even more surprised if there are any places that prohibit it. This means it's mostly going to be left up to the local security guards to make a judgment call.

In most places, I imagine it would be accepted.

share|improve this answer

The US Passport Card is a valid "REAL ID" form of identification, and thus is recognized as valid ID by all US Federal and State Government departments, in exactly the same way that a Passport is.

So officially, yes, you can use your Passport Card as valid ID in a bar within the US. There is obviously always the risk that the person checking ID's will not be familiar with a Passport Card, however they should have access to a guide that includes details on all valid ID, and the Passport Card should be included.

Outside of the US it is likely to be a bit hit-or-miss, as very few countries have any form of passport "card". Given that it does look like official US ID, it's likely it would work in many locations, but would not be as reliable as a real passport.

share|improve this answer
This is mostly wrong. Within the US, proof of age requirements are regulated by state laws and some states have very specific regulations on which documents may be accepted. Before 2010, US passports were e.g. not valid as a proof of age id for alcohol purchases in California. Many establishments enforce stricter rules than what's actually required by law and may very well not accept passports or passport cards as a proof of age. Outside the US, there are many countries which issue official id cards in the same or similar format as the US passport cards. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Apr 9 '14 at 22:44
@Tor-EinarJarnbjo Can you point to a US single state TODAY that will not accept a passport card as valid ID? This question isn't asking about 2009, especially given that passport cards didn't exist before July 2008! – Doc Apr 10 '14 at 0:50
@Tor-EinarJarnbjo Other countries may have ID cards that look similar, but it's not uncommon for bars not to accept IDs from another countries other than a passport. Many drivers licenses around the world look similar, but that doesn't mean they will be accepted as valid ID internationally. – Doc Apr 10 '14 at 0:51
It took some googling, but it was not that difficult to find state regulations, according to which a passport card is not sufficient proof of age for alcohol purchase. In Oregon, id cards (under which the passport card must be assumed to fall) are only acceptable if they contain a physical description (hair or eye colour and height) of the holder, which the passport card do not. I disagreed with your statement that "very few countries have any form of passport card", not that foreign id cards are not generally accepted as proof of age in the US. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Apr 10 '14 at 16:14
Officially a Passport Card is a Passport. Oregon allows Passports to be used as ID for purchasing alcohol. The US treats both a "Passport Card" and a "Passport Book" as a "Passport". – Doc Apr 11 '14 at 6:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.