Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My understanding is that it's a more complex process, but once you're processed, it's much faster to get through airport screenings in future. Is it available to non US citizens as well, and if so, once approved, how long are you approved for?

share|improve this question
It feels like I am the only one who never knew something like this existed. :( – Aditya Somani Apr 9 '14 at 1:58
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Yes and No.

There are a few different ways to get TSA Pre - each with it's own restrictions.

  • You can get access via your airline, particularly if you're a frequent flyer. Historically you had to specifically request to gain access via this means, however many airline now will automatically submit you for access. Check with your airline to see if there's a specific process, although this is likely only for US airlines. You do NOT need to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to get access this way (historically you technically did need to be, but it wasn't well enforced, and this restriction has recently been removed).

  • You can get access via Global Entry, SENTRI, or NEXUS. These are programs generally designed for frequent travellers to make crossing specific borders (specifically the US/Canadian border) easier. Some non-US Citizens are able to join these programs, especially Canadian citizens. You do NOT need to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to get access this way, however access is only available to citizens from a very small list of countries.

  • You can get access via the TSA Pre Application Program, where you basically pay a fee to be screened and then given access to Pre. Currently you DO need to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to get access via this means.

  • If you are over 75 years old, or under 12 years old you will be given access. You do NOT need to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to get access this way.

As an Australian with high frequently flyer status with United Airlines I get Pre access the majority of times I fly (and have pretty much since the Pre program was introduced).

share|improve this answer
@staticx: Such as..? Curious. – verve Apr 8 '14 at 14:54
They might also randomly add it when in a group, I think. I was recently travelling in a group of three (one 70, one 77, and one 35) from international to various domestic US locations, and the 70-year-old had a TSA-Pre logo on all domestic passes except the final transfer before the international departure. No application necessary; no idea what triggered it. None of the travellers were US residents. – Miral Oct 14 '14 at 6:16
Very small clarification: while you can get NEXUS as a Canadian permanent resident that does not make you eligible for TSA Pre until you get citizenship. I know this first hand, I myself am in this middle. I will go on a limb and say this is because of the problems of verifying Canadian PR status outside of Canada. – chx Oct 2 '15 at 0:09
Since April 2015 you must have Known Traveler Number to enroll to TSA Pre, which means you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident -… – JBaruch Dec 11 '15 at 23:16
@JBaruch I am a non-US citizen/non-PR, and I do not have a KTN, yet I still get Pre for about 50% of my flights in the US (down from maybe 90% before the change you're referencing) - most recently last Saturday. – Doc Dec 12 '15 at 1:17

Short answer: Yes, if you're a US permanent resident or a citizen of the Canada, Netherlands, South Korea or Mexico, and apparently it's valid for five years.


Who is eligible for TSA Pre✓™?

  • Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
  • Foreign citizens who are members of Global Entry (see Global Entry eligibility) and not registered as a U.S. lawful permanent resident.

And while their link is broken, the trail of breadcrumbs leads to the CBP:

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals.

share|improve this answer
damn, so not Kiwis :/ – Mark Mayo Apr 8 '14 at 5:12

From the FAQ of Global Entry:

Global Entry is also available to citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in FLUX and Korean Smart Entry Service members. Citizens of Germany, Panama, and Mexico may also apply for Global Entry. Canadian NEXUS members have Global Entry benefits, but are not eligible to join.

share|improve this answer
Some more countries have been added since then, it would be good if you could update your answer to include them – Gagravarr Jan 7 at 12:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.