Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For my country of citizenship, I do need tourist visa for Canada. However, all I need to do (for the sake of arranging my immigration status in USA) is leave USA and come back, so I will not even leave the terminal area in Canada, just fly back the same day to make a fresh re-entry in USA. Will I need a Canadian visa for this? Is there anything to stop my flying out to Canada, provided I do not leave the terminal area?

share|improve this question
Where are you located? Presumably close to the Canadian border. Would a flight to Mexico be feasible? Their migration rules are generally more relaxed, and there are some pretty cheap flights (although they might take longer if you're in the northern US). – Flimzy Apr 7 '14 at 19:22

It is possible to do a visa entry without flying (to Canada). For example, wherever there is a bridge to Canada (Detroit, Buffalo, etc) you can go partway across the bridge, turn around, and come back through US immigration.

The trouble you will have with a flight to Canada is the airline will want to be sure you have the right to enter Canada first (especially since you require a visa to enter Canada). Without a visa, you probably won't get on the plane.

share|improve this answer
This sounds great. Is there any way where I can find more detailed information on how to do this across one of those bridges? Can I do Niagara Falls for example? – Baron Apr 7 '14 at 18:56
You know, on further reflection, I'm not sure I would recommend this approach for you. This is a common technique for Canadians, but Canadians can always just continue back to Canada if something goes wrong at the US entry. If something were to go wrong with the US entry for you, you would be stuck with nowhere to go (not a good position to be in). – Greg Hewgill Apr 7 '14 at 20:12
I do not believe you can "turn around" in the middle of a major international bridge. – user102008 Apr 8 '14 at 4:23
@user102008: Well, not the middle of the bridge, but there exist places between the border checkpoints on either side where you can do so, which people use specifically for the purpose above. – Greg Hewgill Apr 8 '14 at 5:37
You can turn around in the middle of a major international bridge if you are walking across it! The Rainbow Bridge, for instance, has pedestrian access. And you don't even really need to go across the bridge to do this. Just go through the turnstile as if you're starting across the bridge to Canada, then turn around and enter the CBP office. This can also be done at the Peace Bridge. The other two bridges don't have pedestrian access. – Michael Hampton Apr 2 at 3:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.