Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have applied for visa to Spain from the 11 August to 28 February which has been approved, but due to some family problem I want to travel on 15th of December instead of 11 August. Is that possible, or do I need to apply again even if it's still valid?

share|improve this question
What type of visa is that? Typically, the validity would be specified on the visa sticker itself. – Relaxed Apr 1 '14 at 8:41

Visas merely specify the time you're allowed to be in the country, plus sometimes the number of times you can enter (eg multiple entry visas).

What this means is that the visa is valid for entry any time from August 11th, but you must still leave before February 28th to avoid overstaying your visa.

(Note: this sometimes is different for work visas or working holiday visas, where you have to enter by a certain date to 'trigger' or 'activate' your visa)

share|improve this answer

I want to travel on 15th of December instead of 11 August.

Yes you can, if you hold a Schengen tourist visa (different for work related visas). There is no requirement that you need to travel on the 11th of August. You can travel any day until 28th of February, you exit the Schengen area by 28th of February. Going in the morning of 28th February and returning in the evening is also allowed, but be prepared to answer some questions at the immigration counter.

share|improve this answer
If the journey was to last from August to February (as opposed to short stays during this period), it can't possibly be a regular Schengen visa. Probably a long-stay national visa or, in exceptional cases, a limited territorial validity visa. – Relaxed Apr 1 '14 at 8:41
@Annoyed - It could be a Schengen C class(tourist) visa also. Many Schengen countries issue long duration visas, France mostly. – DumbCoder Apr 1 '14 at 9:14
No, it couldn't. There is a distinction between validity and duration of stay. A Schengen visa can be valid for up to 5 years but never for stays longer than 90 days at once. Incidentally, a type C Schengen visa is a regular short-stay visa, not specifically a tourist visa. – Relaxed Apr 1 '14 at 10:43
@Annoyed - I mentioned about the duration of visa and not stay. C is a tourist visa. Any time I have applied, it has always been a C. The OP might have to clarify regarding what he(she) meant by his(her) statment applied for visa. – DumbCoder Apr 1 '14 at 11:07
Yes, but that's precisely what my comment was about as the OP mentioned a travel between August and February, which makes your assumption that it is a Schengen visa questionable. On the other point, you have your logic backwards. If you want to do tourism you do indeed need a C visa but that does not make it a “tourist visa”. You would get a C visa for other purposes, too because that's the only type of non-transit Schengen visa. – Relaxed Apr 1 '14 at 11:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.