Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking to take two of my nephews (12 and 10) on their first flight.

The flight will be about 1 hour long and will stay within the state.

Do I need some kind of written consent from their parents (my brother)?

Also, would they even need some kind of ID?

share|improve this question
maybe saying which state will help as some rules depend on the state (not sure though) – Vince Mar 24 '14 at 15:36
Which airline might make a difference too. – starsplusplus Mar 24 '14 at 16:15
Most likely JetBlue, Virgin, or Southwest – Queti M. Porta Mar 24 '14 at 16:16
Written consent is always a good idea when traveling with kids that are not your own, no matter what the means of transport. – Loren Pechtel Mar 24 '14 at 21:27
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Regarding ID: they do not need id. Source: TSA Blog

Regarding written consent: It is definitely a good idea but is not a strict requirement any more than if you were driving. Nobody would ask unless one of the kids tries to make a huge scene, yelling "you're not my parent", etc.

International travel would be a different matter.

share|improve this answer
I would carry a letter from a parent just as a safety measure in case anything unusual happened. As the others have said, you should not have trouble at TSA and if you are all on one reservation, then you are not dealing with the unaccompanied minor situation, so the airline should not care at all. – Michael Mathews Apr 1 '14 at 1:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.