Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am Lebanese Citizen and am planning a trip to Ireland this month. A valid Irish visa is already in hand and I am willing to reach there through the UK.

Will I need a transit visa in the UK for few hours for flight connections to Ireland?

share|improve this question
Note that while the UK and Ireland have a Common Travel Area, they don't have a Common Visa system. Nationals and Residents are covered by the CTA, but visitors are not – Gagravarr Mar 18 '14 at 9:03

If you are stay in the airport for few hours and not cross the board, you need to have a Direct Airside Transit Visa.

You may need a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you’ll be changing flights in the UK without going through immigration control and you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

This service will help you to understand whether or not do you need a visa in the UK

If you visit Northern Ireland you will need to get a UK general visit visa

share|improve this answer
+1 as this seems to address the question but could you provide a source? – Relaxed Mar 18 '14 at 7:08
Updated. Looks like UK invented new type of visa – MikkaRin Mar 18 '14 at 7:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.