Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I understand there's some official card I need to go through airport security with metal in my leg. How do I apply for that? I don't know where to begin.

share|improve this question
related:… – Dirty-flow Feb 17 '14 at 14:22
up vote 5 down vote accepted

These days security personnel are trained for it, and it's a lot more common. So common, in fact, that the Canadian government has an entire page on it:

Travelling with a Medical Device

Check with your doctor before flying to make sure it is safe for you to go through the metal detector at the security checkpoint. Always carry documents that support your medical condition.

Essentially, a simple letter from your doctor/surgeon describing the surgery, the implant, and whether or not you're able to go through the scanners for safety reasons will be adequate. Ideally have it on his letterhead, just in case they need to call him (although that's unlikely).

Additional source: I have (several) medical implants too and travelled last year in Canada.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. I called CATSA and they told me there was no official card and they don't require a special note. His advice was to arrive early and that when I arrive I directly approach an agent and tell them the situation. – user1008646 Feb 17 '14 at 17:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.