Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am an Italian national, and I work in Spain. My wife is Croatian, which is in the EU but not yet in the Schengen area. Can she get a permit to work in Spain, since she is married to me? We were married in October of last year.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Vince, Dirty-flow, Mark Mayo, Relaxed, Karlson Feb 17 '14 at 15:17

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about immigration or moving for extended periods of time (studies or employment, among others) are off-topic. See the meta post Is it OK to ask questions about migration?." – Vince, Dirty-flow, Mark Mayo, Relaxed, Karlson
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Could you provide me with a link to the relevant directive/treaty? Thanks –  Andrea Feb 17 '14 at 10:46
Schengen is not relevant at all. There are also (temporary) restrictions on the freedom to work in the EU for Croatian citizens but that would only be relevant if she were to move to Spain or another EU country alone, I think. As long as you are yourself using your freedom to work in Spain under the EU treaties, your wife also has a right to live with you and work in Spain without any restriction, even if she is not herself a citizen from a EU country. –  Relaxed Feb 17 '14 at 10:49
That would be the EU treaty itself, see ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457 –  Relaxed Feb 17 '14 at 10:52
Just to clarify, my thinking is the following: Independently of her being Croatian, and the current status of Croatia within the EU, your wife has a right to reside and work with you under the general freedom of movement for workers that Italian and other EU citizens enjoy. –  Relaxed Feb 17 '14 at 11:01

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.