Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While I was at the Thai embassy this morning, I noticed that I lost my Chile tourist card.

I have a sinking feeling that I am in for a long day.

What do I do if I've lost my Chile tourist card? Where do I need to go, what do I need to bring, and (*sigh*) how much is it going to cost me?

share|improve this question
Annnnnd guess what; I found my original tourist card this evening. I knew I'd lose it if I kept it in my wallet, so I stuck it in my notebook for safekeeping. If I didn't have a blog to vent my travel frustrations, I swear I would go insane :P – user82 Feb 17 '14 at 21:21
up vote 7 down vote accepted

To request a duplicate copy of your tourist card ("Tarjeta Unica Migratoria" or sometimes "Tarjeta de Turismo"), you'll need to visit the extranjeria office.

The office is located at Eleuterio Ramirez N° 852 in centro. Note that they are open from 8 AM until 2 PM.

Also, make sure you bring a pen with you.

To get there via Metro, take the red line to Santa Lucía and exit Avda. Bernardo O'Higgins Súr. Walk west to San Fransisco and then go south 3 blocks to Eleuterio Ramirez. The building will be on your right.

Once you arrive, go to the table next to the entrance and pick up 2 forms:

Fill out the forms (you did remember to bring a pen, right?), and then walk straight to cubicle 10. There is no signage; you're just supposed to know that this is where you go to replace your tourist card.

There may be an informal line in front of this cubicle; be prepared to do a little negotiation. Also note that the PDI agent who processes your forms will probably only know Spanish.

Important: You do not need to take a number*, and you do not need to visit the cashier ("caja")**. There is no fee to replace your tourist card.

The whole process should take about 30 minutes.

* Source: four hours of my life that I will never get back.
** Source: another 30 minutes of my life that I also will never get back.

share|improve this answer

I hope someone with more experience can come along with a better answer, but since this is happening to you now I can cut/paste the official advice from the government there

You must replace your tourist card if it has been lost or stolen. You are required to surrender the tourist card to International Police officers at the time you exit Chile. If not, you will not be allowed leave the country. A duplicate tourist card must be obtained at any of the offices for Policía Internacional. You will be required to present your passport at the time of application.

In Santiago, request your tourist card at the following location and hours:

Morandé 672

Telephone: (2) 6809110 and (2) 6809116

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

The tourist card may be replaced at the Santiago International Airport in case of an emergency. You need to arrive at least an hour earlier than your scheduled arrival time. We recommend, however, if possible, that the duplicate tourist card be obtained in advance at the International Police office listed above.

If you will exit Chile from another departure point, you must apply for your tourist card in advance of your arrival at the point of departure.

So, you need to go there, bring your passport, I can't find anything about fees so whatever you paid for the original probably (or is that free?).

share|improve this answer
I spent all morning looking for Morandé 672. Trust me, it doesn't exist. – user82 Feb 13 '14 at 17:15
Even not this Google Maps suggestion??… – Bernhard Feb 13 '14 at 20:24
I walked up and down Morandé this morning. I assure you, there is no PDI/Extranjeria office anywhere near that address. – user82 Feb 13 '14 at 20:49
Sorry, I saw that text in a few places (probably all from the same source) and couldn't find anything else at all really. Hopefully the answer below puts you on the right track. Good luck with it. – SpaceDog Feb 14 '14 at 1:18

According to this webpage International Police office it's located at Eleuterio Ramirez 852, between Serrano street and San Francisco street. There are about 3 blocks from Alameda Bernardo O'Higgins street (the main street in Santiago) and it's near to Universidad de Chile.

I hope this information helps you, good luck

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the info; I stopped by a PDI office this afternoon, and they gave me the same address, so that's a promising sign. Unfortunately, the key word there is "afternoon" — I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to request a new tarjeta. That's ok though, I still get to burn through an afternoon canceling my health insurance at Masvida :P – user82 Feb 13 '14 at 20:48

December 2014 --- the PDI information under the US embassy Chile website - is still incorrect.

My passport was stolen on Friday, Nov 28, 2014. The less than helpful consulate stalled me until Monday. They issued a replacement passport at 2pm and handed me a Xerox with the correct information to replace the Chile tourist card (Eleuterio Ramirez 852 -- hours are 8a-2p.)

I used the airport location for the PDI - tourist card. No cost, I completed one form similar to the original. They stamped it "Duplicate" and it was all done in less than 10 minutes. Leaving two hours later, I turned in the DUP form in the same PDI area - asked why a duplicate - I explained it was stolen. Stamped and sent on my way.

share|improve this answer

Update 26 December 2014

I went to the PDI in Eleutiero Ramirez this morning, it's exactly where you say it is except it's three pretty long blocks from Avenida O´Higgins down San Francisco.

The routine at the PDI is now that you go to the separate entrance to the right of the main steps which is a hellish hall full of people desperate to engage with the police. Ignore them, and go to the man at the ticket machine and ask him only for the forms to replace your 'tarjeta de entrada'. Take them back to the main entrance where the guy on the door will now let you in, and go to the desk immediately to the left of reception where the assistant will check your entry against the computer, and stamp your form. My total time - less than 10 minutes, as once I got back to the main entrance I was in a queue of 3 including a nun.

NB - during Christmas dates of about 24 Dec to Jan 1, the PDI doesn´t open till 1030 am. Fortunately, I was a bit lazy and didn´t get there till 11.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.