Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a Russian citizen working in a US-based company. In April I should be in US for a business issues.

My current US visa has expired, and there's no problem with it, since I'm just waiting for an invitation my company should send to me, this is a routine an well established procedure, so nothing to worry about.

The only problem is that for some other reasons I should fly to Cyprus as soon as possible. So, the question is - is it OK to apply for US visa in one country being non-resident and showing some papers (invitation, plane tickets an so on) relevant to a third country?

share|improve this question
Is there a reason why you can't just wait to apply once you're back in Russia? – Gagravarr Feb 7 '14 at 14:16
Well, the reason is I'm going to be on Cyprus for almost two months, returning just few a couple days before taking the plane. – shabunc Feb 7 '14 at 14:27
We already have a similar question with some more information. Generally, the answer would be "Yes, you can", but check what the US embassy in Cyprus has to say about it. – mindcorrosive Feb 7 '14 at 14:54
@mindcorrosive Similar but slightly different. The OP isn't a resident of Cyprus. – Karlson Feb 7 '14 at 15:04
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The answer is yes you can apply in Cyprus for the US visa but if you're not a permanent or long term resident of Cyprus you should be prepared to reasonably prove why you couldn't go back to Russia to get the visa.

The site for information and applications for US Visa processing has changed to USTravelDocs and while Cyprus section doesn't contain a specific FAQ the section for Russia addresses this very question:

Q.1 If I am a citizen of another country, can I apply for a nonimmigrant visa in Russia?

Any person who is legally present in Russia may apply for a visa in Russia. However, applicants are generally advised to apply in their country of nationality or residence. It is generally easiest to demonstrate your strong ties abroad in the country where you permanently reside.

So yes you can apply but the residency question is likely come up.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.