Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

From the CBSA/ASFC Prohibited Goods list:

You cannot import used or second-hand mattresses into Canada unless you have a certificate that verifies the mattresses have been cleaned and fumigated in the country of export. A letter, or any other document that clearly demonstrates that this requirement has been met, is acceptable if it is signed by a person qualified in cleaning and fumigating.

If I go hiking in Canada, I would like to bring my camping mattress. Does the restriction on importing mattresses apply to strictly outdoor camping mattresses?

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 3 '14 at 16:29

This question came from our site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship.

I unfortunately don't know the answer, but the following information may help someone who does: Is your "camping mattress" a bedroll/mattress or a backpacking style sleeping pad? – jmusits Feb 1 '14 at 12:23
It's a backpacking style sleeping pad, quite thin. – gerrit Feb 1 '14 at 18:21

You can look at more official description of what is actually prohibited on a different page from Canadian Customs, so unless your camping pad can be used as a household item and fits into one of these categories:

  • 9806.00.00 – Bequests, meaning that the mattress was given to you after someone passed away.
  • 9807.00.00 – Settlers’ effects, so if you are immigrating to Canada you can bring your mattress without having it fumigated.
  • 9808.00.00 -Customs Privileges for Diplomatic Missions, Consular Posts, and International Organizations. So if you are working for another country as part of a diplomatic mission or an international organization, you might not have to get your mattress fumigated.
  • 9809.00.00 -Articles for the use of the Governor General.
  • 9810.00.00 -Goods imported by designated foreign countries, military service agencies and institutions.

you should not have to have it cleaned and fumigated. Though periodic cleaning might be a good a idea anyway.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.