I'm planning to visiting LA soon and will need to use public transit to/from the airport. The place I'm staying is on the Antelope Valley Metrolink line, so it looks like the best way to get to the airport will be via Los Angeles Union Station. It looks like I have two options:
- Union Station FlyAway
- Cost: $7.00
- Travel time: 30-50 minutes
- Span: 24 hour service
- Frequency: every 30 minutes during the day, every hour 1-5AM
- Metro (looks like silver + green line is the best since it'd require the least transfers)
- Cost: $3.95
- Travel time: about 60 minutes
- Span: service from 4AM to midnight
- Frequency: every 15 minutes (weekday off peak)
I'll just have a carry-on, so transfers shouldn't be too much trouble. I have an early morning flight, so I can't allow too much buffer time. I do want the option that'll get me there quickly and easily, but reliability is an issue as well.
Will my FlyAway get snarled in traffic on my way to the airport? Am I better off taking metro instead then? It'd save me a bit of money and depending on the schedules could be faster (assuming 50 minutes ride on FlyAway plus 30 minute wait vs 60 minute on metro + 15 minutes wait).
Could anyone comment from experience whether morning FlyAways are too much of a gamble with traffic when trying to catch a morning flight?