Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am currently in Israel and my visa to go Canada is being processed. I need to go to my home country to visit my family before leaving for Canada.

Is it possible for me to go to Sri Lanka which is my home country and leave for Canada from there or do i have to fly directly from Israel where my application submitted?

share|improve this question
TR visa? Temporary resident? And what citizenship do you have? – Mark Mayo Jan 28 '14 at 7:44
@MarkMayo Canada calls its visitor visa as a "temporary resident" visa. – Ankur Banerjee Jan 28 '14 at 13:14
@MarkMayo: I was thinking "TR" was an abbreviation for "transit" and was just about to ask for more details. – hippietrail Jan 28 '14 at 13:57

Yes. Your Canadian visa allows you to enter Canada, it does not specify the route you have to fly to get there.

Naturally you have to make sure you are allowed to transit through any other countries on the way, but if you have a valid Canadian visa, transiting through the EU or the UK should not be a problem.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.