Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm Mexican and a US Permanent Resident.

I'm going to fly into Mexico from the United States, and I want to know if I can use my Mexican voter's card to check in at the airport, or will I need my Mexican Passport? I'm asking because I don't have a Mexican Passport, and I will need to tramit one, it would be much easier if I just use my Mexican voter's card.

share|improve this question
Does Mexican voter card have your ID on it? – Karlson Jan 14 '14 at 23:44
Sorry I meant to ask about the picture. – Karlson Jan 14 '14 at 23:56
You will want to ensure that your voter's card is sufficient identification for you to enter Mexico by commercial air carrier. Note that the identification requirements for airport entry into Mexico may be different from those for land border crossings. Also, for an international flight you usually have to prove to the airline that you have the right of entry into the destination country - and they may not accept a voter's card. – Greg Hewgill Jan 15 '14 at 0:23
I don't have a Mexican Passport with me, but I do have one. I would need to report the one I have as lost and get a replacement, but I was wondering if it was possible to board the flight just with my Mexican ID. – AlanChavez Jan 15 '14 at 6:00
Getting into Mexico as a citizen should be OK even if slow due to asking you lots of questions, but yes getting onto the plane might be the harder part! – hippietrail Jan 15 '14 at 11:21

Requirements for travel between Mexico and the US are covered by the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative". That website states in part that :

U.S. citizens and citizens of Canada, and Bermuda traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter (or depart) the U.S

One of the "other WHTI-compliant documentation" items listed is a US Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) - or a Green Card - which you have stated you do have. So as far as leaving and returning to the US by air, you are covered without a passport.

In general Mexico also accept a US Green Card for entry, although I'm not certain that this also applies for Mexico citizens. However even if it does not, then your Mexican Voter's Card IS acceptable for entry, presuming it has a photo on it.

The only thing I'm not sure about is departing Mexico back to the US. I believe that your Green Card will also be sufficient there (it certainly would be if you were not a Mexico citizen), however I am not 100% sure of that for Mexican Citizens.

share|improve this answer

The general consensus on several travel sites like Open Travel, for people in your situation is that you need a passport to fly.

A Mexican consulate can issue you a new passport or an emergency travel document if you cannot get your passport in time.

There are options other then flying where passport is not required for entry, such as driving or arriving by sea.


As per Star Alliance guidelines it is possible to travel with Mexican Voter ID card as a passport exemption

share|improve this answer

You can also use your mexican military ID card (the card when you turn 18 you must get) if it has a photo with it. I know it can be used for land travel but I am not sure if they take it for air travel. When we crossed into Mexico last year at the border they stressed to get a mexican passport soon.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.