Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently heard that some airlines refuse to let you fly to Japan (from Europe), if you don't have a return ticket. Since it is possible to buy one-way tickets, I guess this is utter nonsense, but just to be sure I wanted to ask anyway.

Is there anything that might prompt this (supposed) urban legend? Any grain of truth?

Bonus: What about other countries?

share|improve this question
Any particular airlines mentioned? –  Karlson Jan 13 '14 at 15:42
I many countries, particularly in Asia, will want you to prove you have onward travel. I can say that I have been challenged to prove outward travel before I could board a flight to the Philippines (on a local low cost airline, can't remember which one) but flying in on KLM they ask you to talk to someone in Manila airport if you don't have onward tickets -- I'm assuming they'll give either a fake onward ticket or some other sort of paperwork, I've never had to ask. You could build a list of visa requirements from Wikipedia, but airline policy is another thing. –  SpaceDog Jan 14 '14 at 3:56
@SpaceDog: I sent an email to the embassy, and their response was something along the lines of: No, you don't necessarily need onward travel to enter Japan (on a visa waiver), but some airlines might refuse to take you there. –  fifaltra Jan 14 '14 at 10:31
I was challenged at the start of this trip too when boarding my flight from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur. Luckily, I'd asked about it here and bought a train ticket online to Singapore as a contingency ($10). It was accepted with no problems. –  hippietrail Jan 16 '14 at 14:19
BTW, I'd assume only visitors to Japan have this burden of proof. Therefore one-way tickets are perfectly fine for Japanese citizens living in Europe, returning home. –  Sam Feb 10 '14 at 10:36

4 Answers 4

up vote 13 down vote accepted

Unfortunately this is not an urban legend. By the information provided this is individual or corporate stupidity or basic case of CYA taken too far so they don't have to carry you back in case you're refused entry to Japan.

At issue is the proof of onward travel, which you need to provide to the Japanese border control if you don't need to have visa prior to arrival.

So if you can provide reasonable proof of onward travel such as return ticket or another ticket that can prove that you will leave Japan they should not refuse to honor the one way ticket you have bought.

share|improve this answer
The funny thing is that the people at the embassy which I asked didn't seem to know about this proof of onward travel thing. But better safe than sorry... –  fifaltra Jan 14 '14 at 10:28
@fifaltra It's not an embassy matter. It's an airline matter. –  Pitarou Feb 10 '14 at 1:15
@Pitarou yeah, but you'd think that airlines only care about this if the countries tell them to care. So the countries (represented by the embassy) should know they told the airlines to care. –  fifaltra Feb 10 '14 at 7:35
@fifaltra In my experience, the information published by the Japanese embassies and the Immigration Bureau can be very misleading and / or out-of-date. So I fully understand why airlines would want to cover their ass. –  Pitarou Feb 11 '14 at 3:26

Not an urban legend - my friend tried to travel from Glasgow airport on a one-way ticket and was forced to buy a one-way ticket to anywhere out of the country at the airport (he chose South Korea) before he was allowed to check in.

Of course if you have a valid visa / special re-entry permission then you'll be fine.

Regarding other countries: I also had to prove I had onward travel from Vietnam before I could board the outbound plane.

share|improve this answer

It's true, with the proviso that this rule doesn't apply to people who are already entitled to live in Japan. For instance, last time I flew to Japan one way, I had to show my Japanese residency visa before they'd let me board. I've heard stories of people being forced to buy onward tickets from Japan to Korea at the airport.

One trick I've heard of to get around this problem is to go on-line and buy a ferry ticket from Hakata (in Japan) to Busan (in South Korea) before you travel. Once you arrive, you can cancel the ticket and get most of the money refunded. I can't vouch for this myself, but other people claim to have used it.

But, of course, that still leaves you with the problem of being in Japan with neither a residency visa nor a ticket out of there. Overstaying your visa is not recommended.

share|improve this answer
Not everyone can plan a six-months period (which is how long some nationalities can stay in Japan without a visa) precisely beforehand and wants to buy a ticket for a flight back or onwards which will most likely be at an inconvenient time to an inconvenient place (probably according to some variant of Murphy's law). So, no plan to overstay visa but also not much of a plan at all. –  fifaltra Feb 10 '14 at 7:32

Being allowed to enter, depends on the Airlines, and migrationofficials in both countries. I took a ferry from S. Korea to Japan and back again. When I tried to leave Japan, migration didn't want to let me on the ferry because I didn't have other tickets. I had to explain I had a Korean work visa. In Fiji, Korean Air didn't want to let me board the plane because I didn't have on proof of further travel, and I had to explain to them about my visa. Being a middle-aged U.S. female, they tended to believe me. IF you are an E.U. citizen, and can tell them about further travel plans you should be able to enter Japan, Hint: There is a ferry that goes from Fukuoka to Busan S. Korea, but make sure to hide your tatoos going through Japanese immigration.

share|improve this answer

protected by Mark Mayo Jan 16 '14 at 8:56

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.