Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a Canadian, and have been working in the USA on an OPT Visa. It expires at Christmas, and I want to leave the country (to Canada) and return right away as a tourist. I heard that I can return the same day, but haven't been able to confirm this anywhere online. Does anyone know?

share|improve this question
This page says you can reenter the same day, while this page says not! both are official pages! I would call Obama to get some help regarding this dilemma. – Heidel Ber Gensis Nov 19 '13 at 21:47
@HaLaBi The first page basically gives the answer, which is yes it is possible but CBP can deny you entry because they might feel that you are trying to stay permanently. – Karlson Nov 20 '13 at 3:36
Thanks you guys! I suppose I should plan to bring adequate proof that shows I'm not planning to come back to stay permanently. – user9185 Nov 21 '13 at 1:19
@HaLaBi : Hey ! Hey, you ! The brothers a busy man cuz :) – happybuddha Nov 21 '13 at 16:23
up vote 6 down vote accepted

When exactly does your OPT expire - at Christmas as you've stated, or 60 days beforehand?

Presuming it expires at Christmas, then you are legally able to stay in the US for 60 days after expiry. You are NOT allowed to work during that period, but you can legally stay in the country for other purposes, so if you're planning to be a tourist for less than 60 days, AND you do not plan to leave the US during that time, then you're good!

Once you leave the US after the expiry of your OPT, then you are NOT allowed to re-enter using the OPT - even if it is still within the 60 day grace period.

However, as a Canadian Citizen you are allowed to re-enter the US as a tourist. Technically there is no reason that you could not do the immediately ("same day"), however as with all entries it is at the discretion of the immigration officials to determine if they believe you are entering for the purposes you're stating or not. If they believe that you are re-entering the US for the purposes of working, then they can deny your entry. How likely this is to occur will depend on your exact situation - if it were me I would have as much paperwork as possible available to show that you are a tourist rather than returning to work.

share|improve this answer
Thank you. I'm posting a response to your comment. – user9185 Nov 28 '13 at 23:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.