Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can you drive in the US while you visit if you own a driver's license from your own country?if yes, for how long? I heard that you can for 6months.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by HaLaBi, LessPop_MoreFizz, Karlson, Dirty-flow, choster Nov 11 '13 at 7:01

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

The question as it stands now is too broad, you need to tell us which country do you intent to visit. Anyway in general you can drive using your license in a foreign country almost anywhere. – Heidel Ber Gensis Nov 10 '13 at 23:41
I guess it does not say much about the driver's license from asian countries to the americas or european countries. The answers were the other way around. We all know that US or European or Australian DLs have more bearing in the asian countries... – User13 Nov 11 '13 at 2:11
That link gave a better answer...thanks – User13 Nov 11 '13 at 6:44

The reason this is considered too broad is that US driving regulations depend on the state. Here is an official US government website on driving as a visitor giving you links to check up on the regulations for the states you will be visiting. Most states permit license holders from most countries to drive as a visitor for some amount of time, but you should check for your case.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.