Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have perhaps a very particular question- I'm thinking about research plans for a master's degree. I am a US citizen and plan to attend a Canadian university for my MA, but was hoping to apply for a 5 or 10-month research/study period in Denmark (my topic of research is relevant for separate but related reasons to both countries, and so it would be beneficial to work within both Canadian and Danish institutions).

So, I would require one 2-year temporary student permit from Canada from for example 1.9.2014 - 31.8.2016, and one 5 or 10-month temporary student and/or research permit from Denmark from 1.8.2015 - 31.12.2015 or 1.8.2015 - 31.5.2016. Is this possible? I would not be able to cut short the Canadian permit as I would still be enrolled in a Canadian university and would need to return in the winter and summer for presentations etc.

If anyone has a similar experience with requiring two residence permits to separate countries where the time periods overlap, related to student permits or not, I would greatly appreciate some insight. I have lived in Norway for the last four years and have never met anyone who has had the same problem (I am thinking about this far in advance, and of course would ask the relevant departments for each country)

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by HaLaBi, Dirty-flow, Mark Mayo, Ankur Banerjee Oct 16 '13 at 6:05

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about immigration or moving for extended periods of time (studies or employment, among others) are off-topic. See the meta post Is it OK to ask questions about migration?." – Community, Dirty-flow, Mark Mayo, Ankur Banerjee
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Why do you think this would be a problem? Canada and Denmark are separate countries with completely separate immigration and visa systems, each application will be judged on its own merits and will have no impact on the other. If anything, having the visa for Canada will increase your odds of being granted the Denmark (Schengen) permit, since it's effectively proof that you'll return when your research is done.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.