Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a Canadian citizen, currently living in Italy. My 90-day Schengen visiting period is due to expire in a month. However, I would like to stay for several more months (learn the language and travel around). Is it possible to extend my stay without leaving Italy? Can I apply for a visa for Italy in Italy? If not, can I apply for a residence permit? If I can get a residence permit, will I have problems leaving/entering the country because my Schengen entry stamp will show that I overstayed?

I saw a very good reply here Extended stay visa for Germany Is there a similar, proper process for Italy?

share|improve this question

Long term visas exist in Italy (Visto Nazionale) but I think you need to state a valid reason for staying (like studies, work, etc.). See if Google Translate translates this page well enough for you:

Original Translated

It may take 30 days to have the visa done anyway, or even 90 if you're a freelance worker.

share|improve this answer
You can't just leave Italy/Schengen for a weekend and come back if you've used up your 90 days there. Schengen rules clearly state you must leave for 90 days before returning. – hippietrail Oct 10 '13 at 12:47
I didn't know that. I'll correct the answer. – spakendralo man Oct 10 '13 at 13:53
Here's one of our questions about the 90/180 visa rules if you want to find some more information. – hippietrail Oct 10 '13 at 13:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.