Sign up ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a United States passport and will be in London this year. I am looking into rail and ferry options to coastal France and was wondering if I will need to present any documents other than having my passport at hand? For example is there a customs office I'm required to visit or can I just simply walk into France with my passport?

share|improve this question
so you're not taking your own boat, just using the ones available to you - eg EuroStar or various Ferry companies? – Mark Mayo Oct 1 '13 at 6:08
Note that passport/immigration checks and customs are two different issues. The UK is not part of Schengen and maintains its own visa policy but it is, as a member of the EU, part of the single market which means that there are very little restrictions on what you can import or export to and from France and, in principle, no systematic customs inspection. The situation is pretty much the reverse for Switzerland (Switzerland is part of the Schengen area and does not systematically check passports at the border but does maintain a distinct policy regarding goods import/export). – Relaxed Oct 1 '13 at 15:52

2 Answers 2

I can answer the rail part: When boarding your train at London, you'll have to pass through customs and security check just as if you were taking a plane.

The platform of the Eurostar train is separated from the other platforms and the only way to get onto it is through the security check and customs.

share|improve this answer

The UK is not part of Schengen. A UK visa doesn't entitle you access to the Schengen area automatically.

According to this page, however US citizens can enter the Schengen area without a visa, that is given some conditions. The basic requirement is a valid passport. If you want to have multiple entries or want to stay longer then 90 days, you need to contact the French consulate.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.