Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm leaving for US shortly after I get my drivers licence in 2 weeks or so.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it in USA. I know about the AAA thing for US drivers licence to be valid in Slovakia, but I'm not sure how it works the other way around.

share|improve this question
What language(s) is your drivers license in? I believe a big thing about whether your license is valid on its own is what language it's written in – Gagravarr Sep 27 '13 at 21:26
Formally, it could depend on bilateral agreements and the rules in each individual US state so I am not sure there is a general answer valid for all EU countries and for the whole of the US. Members on some forums I read strongly suggest getting an International Driving Permit, especially if your license is not in English, not necessarily because it is not valid but because it's quite useful to avoid hassle when dealing with law enforcement officers. I don't have personal experience or sources to back that up so I am posting it as a comment. – Relaxed Sep 27 '13 at 22:10
The US consulate/embassy in your country, your ministry of foreign affairs or your country's embassy in the US might be able to provide more information (some have very useful websites, I don't know for Slovakia). – Relaxed Sep 27 '13 at 22:13
Related Question:… – Karlson Sep 28 '13 at 0:10
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Use of a foreign license is permitted in any state as long as the license can be read by the police officers. e.g. your name and licence number etc do not include any characters outside the ASCII character set.

As far as length of use is concerned it varies from state to state but usually 30 days is permitted with no issues. Other than that you can obtain an International Driving Permit, which will solve your problem.

You can check this related question for additional information:

Australian drivers licence valid in the US?

share|improve this answer
An International Driving Permit (such as those issued by AAA) is not a license, however, most states will accept it in conjunction with an actual physical license from another country that is not printed in English. It essentially acts as a translation document. Which can be good to have. – LessPop_MoreFizz Sep 28 '13 at 2:50

If you're renting a car, yes it is valid.

If you buy a car, you'll need to get a valid licence fairly quickly - usually for the insurance company.

share|improve this answer
How about if I borrow a car, would I be able to drive it and the cops wouldn't give me hard time? I'll be staying for one month. – Matthew Abrman Sep 27 '13 at 20:46
I think insurance might be the bigger issue. If you're insured, I think you're OK. – Jeremy Miles Sep 27 '13 at 20:48
@JeremyMiles Buying the car is not an issue. Registering it is. – Karlson Sep 28 '13 at 0:10
By valid you mean the OP's license won't be?? – hippietrail Sep 28 '13 at 4:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.