Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have heard that from 1st September China will have a new immigration law and it will not be possible any longer to get a Chinese Tourist Visa in Hong Kong for longer than 1 month.

Does anyone have precise info?

share|improve this question
The tourist 'L' visa is typically for 30 days each time anyway. Longer term L visa are possible under some circumstances. – Andrew Sep 20 '13 at 13:58
In June I entered China through HK and I got a visa for 3 month without any issue: applied in the morning the visa was ready in the afternoon. I hope it will be easy to get another Visa now for 3 month. I'm just scarred about this new regularization – Francesco Sep 20 '13 at 15:58
It might be worth elaborating the original question. A single entry L visa will last for 3 months, however it will only allow a stay of 30 days inside mainland China. – Andrew Sep 21 '13 at 0:48

There is no such regulation.

Visa consultancies in Hong Kong do not list such a change in the list of changes that will take effect on 1st of September. There are changes regarding extensions in Shanghai that will be bound to a proof that you have enough money for each day you want to extend the visa, but this does not touch the initial visa duration.

There might be a misunderstanding for emergency visas that can now be issued by public security bureaus on the border. Those can be only 30 days. Normal visa issued by the standard authorities such as foreign consulates can be still 180 days.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.