Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm going to the US through SFO from Europe (Germany to France to US) and would like to bring loose teabags of British Yorkshire Tea. They are not packed like they were for sales, but rather in Tupperware because I buy them in big boxes. This might look a little suspicious I believe, and I don't want to get in trouble.

share|improve this question
Re-package it in a bag labeled "Pipe Tobacco", and it should be permitted... (just make sure it's labeled with a country of origin other than Cuba) ;) – Flimzy Aug 19 '13 at 14:39
I've brought duffel bags of tea back with me from China (my wife's family has a tea farm). The tea was packaged into opaque bags about 8g each, for a total of about 5kg. I declared I had food and went through the serious scan, the person operating the scanner said that tea is not food and had no problems with it. – Phil May 20 '15 at 18:00
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Depends on the tea, check the US Customs and Border Protection's help page. Seems forbidden if the tea contains fruit or vegetable leaves or seeds, including citrus leaves or seeds. But otherwise okay for personal use. But you might want to double check.

share|improve this answer
"Tea- commercially packaged and ready to be boiled, steeped or microwaved in liquid." is listed under the things generally admissible. – DJClayworth Aug 19 '13 at 14:16
Loose leaf tea is prohibited. Packaged tea bags should be fine, as per this document – LessPop_MoreFizz Aug 19 '13 at 14:36
That document says loose citrus leaves are prohibited. Loose leaf tea (in a package) is acceptable. – DJClayworth Sep 10 '13 at 14:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.