Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My 18 year old daughter US passport has expired we are going to Canada in two weeks. Can she get into and out of Canada with an expired US passport.

share|improve this question

You can find full details on what documentation is required to travel been the US and Canada at

But in short, if you are flying then the answer will be No. If you are entering by road/sea the answer is still most likely no, unless she happens to have an Enhanced Drivers License.

share|improve this answer
Surely she'd be able to get in; if it's clear that she's a US citizen, they can't keep her out. I think they would fine her or charge a hefty fee, however, if she did not have a valid document from the list. – phoog Sep 11 '14 at 16:19
@phoog RE: “if it's clear that she's a US citizen, they can't keep her out” – Your comment is entirely incorrect. Canada controls her own border. US citizens have no intrinsic right to enter any foreign country, and certainly not Canada. Canada has every right to pick and choose whom they permit to enter by whatever criteria their government determines (excepting a few special obligations by treaty and international law). – Basil Bourque May 8 at 2:39
@BasilBourque I am quite certain that I was speaking about her return to the US, though I see now that I may have misunderstood. I was probably misled by the link ... is about people returning to the US. – phoog May 8 at 4:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.