Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My boyfriend is Turkish citizen but he has a green card as his mother is a teacher. Does he need a visa to visit me in the UK?

share|improve this question
Of course, why would US greencard change anything? – vartec Aug 1 '13 at 8:59
@vartec: The question is actually not that stupid. UK e.g. waive in some cases transit visa requirements for US green card holders. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Aug 1 '13 at 14:53
@Tor-EinarJarnbjo: interesting, however, not relevant in this case. – vartec Aug 1 '13 at 15:11

Of course, the only thing that matters in this case is nationality. US green card in this case only serves as a proof that he's residing in US legally.

UK Border Agency website provides details.

This page explains whether you will need to obtain a visa before you come to the UK as a general visitor.

You will need a visa if you:

  • are a visa national (see 'More information' below); or
  • are stateless (you do not have a nationality); or
  • hold a non-national travel document (a travel document which does not give you the nationality of the country that issued it); or
  • hold a passport issued by an authority that is not recognised in the UK.

The long list of "visa nationals" contains Turkey.

Or you can use "Do I need visa?" form, which yields following result:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Also, this is very useful: – Ignacio Aug 2 '13 at 20:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.