Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a Pakistani citizen holding a Pakistani passport, my wife is dual national meaning Pakistani and British citizen and lives with me in Pakistan; We have been married for 7 years and I have travelled to the EU 4 times previously on business with a Schengen visa. I would like to know: does my wife being a British national make it easier for me to get an express Schengen visa or do I have to follow the long tedious process? Also can my visa be denied if we are applying together to visit France? What benefits can I avail by being a husband of a British citizen when applying for a Schengen visa?

share|improve this question

It all depends if you'll be travelling on your own, or with your wife.

As MeNoTalk pointed out, the UK is not part of the Schengen zone. This means that your residency permission in the UK doesn't allow you to travel in the Schengen area automatically. If your wife was French, and you were living in France with her, your residency would allow you to travel within the rest of the Schengen area. She's English, so that doesn't help. If you wish to travel on your own, you'd need to apply for a Schengen visa as normal, no special allowances.

However... The EU allows for free movement of its citizens throughout the area (EU/EEA), and also allows for Family Life. For more information on those, see the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights on the EU Commission or the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights, or look up Directive 2004/38/EC.

This means that if you want to travel with your wife (but not on your own), then as she is allowed to travel anywhere within the EU, as her family you are allowed to come with her. These two European Commission pages cover a lot of it. You may sometimes need to be issued with a visa, so that border officials know your status, but this can't be denied, and shouldn't be charged for. This has a lot of details. The key part is:

If the family member has a “Residence Card for a family member of an EU citizen”, then they do not require a visa.

Where a visa is required, “Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge, as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.“

The Europa.EU site has a good set of details on this. Based on the information there, it looks like as your wife is both British and a British Resident, you'll need to apply for a Schengen visa to accompany her to France as a non-EU family member. This should be issued for free and within 15 days, provided you supply the required details to prove your status. (The number of qualifications and warnings around trying for a visa-on-arrival means I really wouldn't suggest you try that one...)

share|improve this answer
This answer assumes that the OP and his wife live in the UK while the question states that they live in Pakistan. – phoog Jun 29 '15 at 7:08

does my wife being a British national make it easier for me to get an express Schengen visa or do I have to follow the long tedious process?

No, it does not make it easier by any mean! UK is not even a part of Schengen area and you have to follow the process step by step.

Also can my visa be denied if we are applying together to visit France

Applying together? if she is a British citizen she does not need a visa for France for a stay of 90 days or less, remember, you still need one.

Bottom lines, Schengen visa process is almost identical in all EU embassies around the world, there are no exceptions. Schengen visa has nothing to do with your spouse's citizenship. The only difference is when applying for a spouse visa to your spouse's home country or applying for another immigration visa.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for ure reply but Uk comes under EU....and there is a free movement act for non-EU spouses of EU national?? that is applicable when travelling with ure EU entry into any EU country cannot be denied to non-EU spouses married to EU posting the link for u as well..plz see if u can comment.… – sameer Jul 29 '13 at 0:04
thanks for youre reply but im confused because since UK comes under EU and as per this link its says different.please comment.thanks… – sameer Jul 29 '13 at 0:06
The EU has freedom of movement for its citizens, so a UK citizen has no need of any sort of visa for France no matter how long or short the visit (nor of any other EU/EEA country) – Gagravarr Sep 14 '13 at 21:51

The Schengen visa fee is waived for non EEA/non UK spouse/children of UK nationals. Only facilitation charges are take by service provider. The proof of relationship is required like marriage certificate, birth certificate for kids.

share|improve this answer

protected by Gagravarr Feb 16 at 16:06

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.