Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So I'm going to Germany for a semester exchange and I have a long-stay visa from Germany. Can I travel to the other Schengen states during this period with this visa or do I have to apply for a separate short stay Schengen visa?

share|improve this question
Can you clarify the exact kind of German long stay visa/permit you'll be on? (It might make a difference) –  Gagravarr Jul 24 '13 at 14:23
If you are staying in Germany for more than 90 days, you most probably need a residential permit in addition to the visa. If you are allowed to travel to other Schengen states both depends on the kind of residential permit and/or the kind of visa you are issued. –  Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Jul 24 '13 at 14:41
@Gagravarr I have a Germany National Visa.. it says on the visa it is a type D visa... –  Yashaswini Prasad Jul 24 '13 at 15:39
@Tor-EinarJarnbjo As I said in my reply to Gagavarr my visa is german national visa type D it is for a duration of 4 months, i.e. longer than 90 days.. it says on the visa that the long stay visa is valid in Deutschland, which is different from my earlier visa, which I had when I visited Germany earlier, that one was a short stay visa and said it was valid in schengen staten.. so I'm wondering if what my current visa means is that I can stay in Germany for a period of longer that 90 days but I should be able to visit the other schengen states if I don't exceed the 90 day period.. –  Yashaswini Prasad Jul 24 '13 at 15:42
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

When it comes to traveling within the Schengen area, a type D visa is equivalent to a regular residential permit. You are basically allowed to visit other Schengen countries for up to 90 days within a 6 month period.

There are some caveats - you must carry your passport or equivalent travel documents, be able to document the purpose of your visit (going on holiday should be enough), document your ability to finance the trip, be of no danger to national security or public health and not have been specifically expelled from the country you are traveling to. Since there is no immigration control on the borders between Schengen states, these requirements are in most cases rather theoretical. If however you should be checked, you probably save a lot of hassle if you have the required documentation handy.

share|improve this answer
Thanks so much! That really helped clarify things for me! :) –  Yashaswini Prasad Jul 24 '13 at 17:08
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.