Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am planning to purchase a road bike in the United States rather than in Canada, since the price is around $400 cheaper (thanks to the 63%+ import tax on bicycles).

Right now duty-free is 200$/person for 24-48 hours. If I have 3 people in the car and they purchase nothing, will it count towards my bike being duty free?

share|improve this question
Why not cycle back? This way your bike appears to be used. – user141 Jul 23 '13 at 7:27
up vote 11 down vote accepted


You cannot combine your personal exemptions with another person's or transfer them to someone else.

Further, if you are away for less than 48 hours:

You can claim up to CAN$200 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

My recommendation: stay a little longer. At 48 hours it goes up to $800.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.