Sign up ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My son's best friend is here from Japan, his parents paid for his plane ticket and sent $1000.00 cash. We would like to return the money to them - his stay and expenses are our treat. How can we do this without offending them?

share|improve this question
Where are you located? – Nean Der Thal Jul 21 '13 at 14:43
and is the cash sent with the kid or wired to you? – Nean Der Thal Jul 21 '13 at 14:44
We are in the US. Money was sent on the plane with him. – Kim Jul 21 '13 at 14:49
Ok, I guess this will be easier, just return the money with the kid. I think it is more of a sign of respect. – Nean Der Thal Jul 21 '13 at 14:52
Thank you for your advice and time. – Kim Jul 21 '13 at 14:53

1 Answer 1

The best thing would be to simply make sure that the kid does not need to spend money while there. If the kid comes back to his parents and states "I only spent 100 for a souvenir", this would be much better than you sending then the money in any other way.

Possibly find a compromise that the kid can spend some things by himself, like inviting you all for dinner once or other symbolic things.

share|improve this answer
That last one is an excellent idea. It's sort of a way for him to give something back to his hosts. Sort of. – Rory Alsop Jul 22 '13 at 15:04
Thank you for your advice. They are a wonderful family, and we just do not want to do anything to offend them. We are paying for everything, but perhaps will let their son purchase a souvenir on his own. That might be a good compromise. Again, thank you. – Kim Jul 22 '13 at 23:32
@Kim if this answer solved your question, then consider clicking the tick next to this answer. – Andrew Grimm Dec 7 '13 at 7:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.