Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My daughter bought Swiss francs and she didn't spend it all, now she is in Austria, where can she change the Swiss francs (CHF) to Euros (EUR)?

share|improve this question
Depending on the amount, simply try any bank, the larger ones are better. They won't change 5 CHF, but if there is more, they will do it. – uncovery Jun 23 '13 at 5:29
Any bank or currency exchange place should do it. Probably worth visiting a few though, as they'll likely have slightly different rates, and may well have different rules on minimum amount to change, if coins are accepted etc – Gagravarr Jun 23 '13 at 11:18

You should try any big banks! they will be able to do it. If you have the receipt of purchase for those Francs (I doubt it), it will be a plus as it clearly shows that you probably have done it for travel purposes.

I am not sure about the Weschels (Cambio/Bureau De Change). If the shop is too small, they might not have the CHF to Euro/USD/GBP facility. Try bank or a hot touristy spot. Airport should be the ideal place if everywhere else turns out to be blank.

share|improve this answer

The simple answer is "almost anywhere". Post office, banks, currency exchange holes-in-the-wall, etc.

It's the next step up from asking 'where can I buy a coffee in Austria' !

share|improve this answer
A bit late, but: No, post offices won´t do that. And with the Euro being around for some years now, I can´t remember when I´ve seen the last currency-exchange-something [which was not a full bank and not at a airport/border] – deviantfan Jun 18 '15 at 21:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.