Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am applying to join a research group in a school in Switzerland and after the first round of interviews, I have been invited by the university in Zurich for an in-person interview so that I can meet the research group and give a presentation on the work I am currently doing. I intend to be in Switzerland for just a night and I am wondering what kind of visa I should be applying for? Should it be a business or tourist visa?

share|improve this question
A related question; however, it didn't get a definitive answer. – Nate Eldredge Jun 11 '13 at 20:39
Universities often have an "international office" staffed with experts on visa and immigration issues. You could ask to be put in touch with this office. – Nate Eldredge Jun 11 '13 at 20:41

There are no "Business Visa" in Switzerland. There are only short-term (Type C) and long-term visa: in your case, you'll need a short term visa, the details can be read at the FAQ of the department of foreign affairs.

You will need to fill out a Schengen visa application and check "Study" in the "Main purpose" Box.

share|improve this answer
I don't think he should check "Study", since he's not actually studying. "Business" is more appropriate I believe. – Elchin Feb 5 '15 at 17:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.