Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My wife and I are flying back to the UK with our baby. We both hold UK passports, however our baby doesn't hold an EU passport yet. (They have a separate non-EU passport that is valid for entering the UK)

Does anyone know if we can still go through the faster UK/EU immigration line at the airport, or would we have to go through the slower non-EU line?

share|improve this question
Is your baby on any terrorism watch lists or wanted for crimes against humanity? – Andrew Grimm Jun 8 '13 at 5:23
Be aware that the EU line is not always faster. It often depends on timing and which flights have arrived recently. – Rory Alsop Jun 8 '13 at 6:32
@RoryAlsop I haven't been through Heathrow that often recently, however the EU line always appeared much quicker. Maybe that changed post-Olympics – Andrew Jun 8 '13 at 13:00
There is always someone directing people in the immigration lines, so I would ask them. Sometimes they have let me and a friend join the EU line even if only one of us has an EU passport. But sometimes they haven't. – DJClayworth Jun 10 '13 at 13:19
up vote 4 down vote accepted

A comment on flyertalk addresses this exact issue:

At LHR, it's been ok about 140 times in the last 24 months for my family doing just as you wish to do. Not one negative comment from any UKBA employee about doing so.

Even non-EU/EFTA/EEC nationals who have infants or toddlers are often directed -- late at night at LHR -- to use the shorter/emptied out EU national line at LHR after that line is cleared but the non-EU/EFTA/EEC line is substantively backed up. See this at LHR T5 and T3.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.