Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I am citizen of Turkey and I have tourist visa for Canada. But my flight is from İstanbul through New York than Toronto. So, do I need a US visa to for my transit journey. By the way We are not ESTA member? What should I do? thanks alot

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Vince, uncovery, Dirty-flow, Gagravarr, Karlson May 24 '13 at 11:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

Yes, you need a visa. The United States does not recognize the idea of visa-free transit, you will have to go through Immigration and then go out again.


The US has a C-1 Transit Visa that's supposed to be used for cases like yours, but this is apparently just as is difficult, time-consuming and expensive to get as a regular visa.

Is there any way you can change your flight not to go through the US? There are plenty of direct flights from Canada to Europe.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.