Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got a dilemma. I am going on my holiday to France for two weeks in July but few days before that I need to fly to Italy for 2 days. So my traveling plan is: going to Italy for two days then back to the UK then a week later going to France for two weeks. What embassy should I apply for my Schengen visa? French or Italian. I'm scared that if I apply for the Italian one (where I'm going for two days) and then a week later will go to France for two weeks I might have problems. Or if I apply for the French embassy but then my first country I will enter on this visa will be Italy I will have trouble. I know traveling within the Schengen countries should be no problem but I need to go back to UK in-between so I won't have the continuation of the trip. Don't know what to do!!!

share|improve this question
The general Schengen rules relevant to the previous question apply but OTOH practical experience with either the French or Italian embassies and/or border control could also be useful and specific to this question. – Relaxed May 20 '13 at 21:09
Nominated to reopen: Clearly not a duplicate at all, the other question is from someone who already has a visa, this one is about where to apply. – Relaxed Dec 4 '14 at 16:16

As your first trip is to Italy, you need to apply there and then as Rudy suggested ask for a multiple journey visa, covering the entire period.

You can then safely return from Italy and then use the same visa to go to France for your holiday.

share|improve this answer

You can got to either Italian or French Embassy ( since the period to stay on both countries are the same ).

However, for this case you should specifically to ask for multiple journey visa.

share|improve this answer
Two days is the same as two weeks? – Henning Makholm Dec 9 '14 at 9:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.