Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am travelling form Delhi (DEL) to San Francisco (SFO), I have to make a connection flight in Vienna that would take me to Frankfurt (FRA). My flight to SFO is from FRA, I have one ticket for entire journey and the flights are operated by Lufthansa or its subsidiaries.

Do I need a transit visa? My flight arrives at Vienna international airport and leaves from the same, and for second leg it arrives at Frankfurt international airport.

I asked this question as an addendum to my previous post but was advised to make a new post.

I hold Indian passport and valid US visa.

share|improve this question
Related question:… – Karlson May 15 '13 at 18:51
I beg to differ, he holds a Schengen visa, while I don't. – May 15 '13 at 18:55
That's why it's related and not duplicate. – Karlson May 15 '13 at 19:03
Plus you mentioned yourself that you will be connecting in Vienna so you will likely have to have a visa anyway – Karlson May 15 '13 at 19:10
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The answer to your question is yes you will need a transit visa but in Vienna rather than in Germany.

According to Germany missions page you don't need a visa since you're a holder of the US Visa:

Exceptions: Nationals from the above list are entitled to transit through the international transit zones without an airport transit visa:

  1. If they hold a valid visa for the United States of America

According to the Austrian foreign ministry you as an Indian citizen would not have required a visa if you were staying within the international transit zone of an airport. This however doesn't apply in your case since your connecting flight is "domestic" so to speak, so a transit visa will be necessary for Vienna airport rather then Frankfurt.

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot for the answer,much appreciated. I found this which clearly states that I need a transit visa. – May 15 '13 at 19:48 Any time. – Karlson May 15 '13 at 19:49
Since the flight from Vienna to Frankfurt is intra-schengen, he does not only require a transit visa, but a regular Schengen visa. – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Aug 2 '14 at 8:35

protected by Karlson May 29 '14 at 19:24

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.