Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm arriving from New Delhi, India (Indian Passport) by JAL at Narita on 11th July 0730 hrs and departing for San Francisco by Jal Flt 2 at 0005 hrs 12th July very early morn from Haneda. Do i require a Transit visa as I'll be switching airports and spending a few hours at JAL City Haneda Airport Hotel ?? Earlier I got connecting flights from Narita to San Francisco and obtained shore passes to relax at Narita Nikko Hotel. Now I'm travelling with my elderly Mom and do not want complications at Narita immigration or later in the day while going from Narita Airport to Haneda airport. Pls advise.

share|improve this question

There seems to be a regulation (cited here and here, but I could not find an authoritative source) saying that you can get a "transit pass" for exactly this purpose.

But to be on the safe side, I would get a transit visa anyway - link is to the Japanese embassy in India, and it sounds like it is relatively cheap and easy to get.

share|improve this answer
thank you Michael.. you've clarified what various authorities in New Delhi could not do.. i'll get transit visas to be on the safe side.. i'm returning via haneda from sfo and leaving for New Delhi from Narita after a fortnight.. i guess i'll require two sets of transit visas – user6738 May 14 '13 at 12:16
For reference, the relevant legislation regarding the "shore pass" are Article 15 of the Immigration Act and Article 14 of the ministerial ordinance for its implementation, which are available in English here and here. (Those translations are based on out-of-date versions of the texts, but those particular articles are still current.) – fkraiem Dec 18 '15 at 7:38

You will need a visa that allows you to get through the immigration control - whatever visa you are able to get as an Indian citizen.

There is no way to get to Haneda airport without that.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.